This website contains teaching resources developed at SciGEM at The University of Sydney for teaching granular mechanics to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
There are a number of independent numerical tools, and where they exist already there are corresponding reference materials, worksheets and assessment tasks. If you use these materials in one of your classes, please let us know so that we can provide supportIf you would like to see examples of these resources in operation, please check out the Gallery.
Discrete Element Method Based Resources
- Oedometric compression | Reference material | Lesson plan
- Inclined plane flow (interactive) | Reference material | Worksheet
- Inclined plane flow (3D pre-computed data) | 2D | 4D | 5D | 6D
- Triaxial compression | Reference material | Lesson plan
- Isotropic cyclic compression | VR version
- Lees-Edwards shear
- Simple shear
- Rotating sphere (or here in 4D)
- Intro to coarse graining
- In-browser coarse graining
- Intro to NDDEM | Journal article | Github
Model experiments and demonstrations
- Handheld shear box: Github repository with models for 3D printing and question sheet examples.
- ammo.js rockfall simulator
- MercuryDPM rockfall simulator | Example assignment (4th year bachelor level)
- Slope stability module | Example assignment (3rd year bachelor level)